4020 East Beltline Ave. NE, Suite 101, Grand Rapids, MI 49525

Free Consultations 616-361-8850

Grand Rapids Car Accident Attorney

Grand Haven car crash lawyer

Kent County Car Accident Lawyer Serving Grand Rapids

Car accidents happen every day, and in most cases, the drivers involved escape without any injuries. However, in recent years Michigan has seen more than 75,000 annual car accident injuries and more than 1,000 fatalities, and Kent County is among the highest for injuries and deaths in the state. In the unfortunate event that you are injured in a car crash, your life may be turned upside-down as you deal with medical treatment and the accompanying bills, as well as the possibility of lasting effects from which you may not fully recover.

There are avenues available for you to obtain relief after a car accident, especially if another driver was at fault, but they can be challenging to navigate on your own when you have so many other things on your mind. If you need an ally and representative who is committed to getting you the compensation you need, Attorney John D. Tallman, PLC can help. Our law firm brings nearly 40 years of experience at the negotiating table and in the courtroom, and we have worked with clients throughout Kent County and the greater Grand Rapids area to achieve successful results through personal injury claims involving car accidents of all kinds.

Common Causes and Types of Car Accidents

Each car accident is unique in its combination of the contributing factors, the nature of the collision, and the resulting injuries. When you hire John Tallman as your personal injury attorney, you get a lawyer who knows what to look for in a variety of accidents to help you establish liability and document the common injuries that they tend to cause. Some of the types of accidents we focus on include:

We also recognize the increased potential for accidents on the busy highways in the Grand Rapids area, including I-96, I-196 and U.S. 131, and we strive to assist in the recovery of West Michigan residents who are injured in these crashes.

Michigan's No-Fault Car Insurance Laws and Your Personal Injury Claim

Michigan is one of the few states that requires all car owners to have car insurance that includes a no-fault Personal Injury Protection (PIP) policy, which means that as long as you have the mandatory coverage, you will be able to seek compensation from your own insurance provider if you are injured in a car accident regardless of who was responsible. Your PIP policy is meant to cover economic damages resulting from your injuries, including medical expenses with no limit or up to a limit of your choosing, wage loss compensation up to 85 percent of your income for up to three years, and up to $20 per day in replacement services for household upkeep that you are unable to perform due to your injuries.

However, in some severe and catastrophic injury cases, PIP coverage may not adequately account for all of your damages, especially if you are unable to work for an extended period of time after the accident or if you experience ongoing pain and suffering, mental anguish, or loss of enjoyment of your life and relationships. In these cases, you need a personal injury attorney who can help you determine whether another driver or party was at fault and gather evidence to prove it so that you can seek additional compensation through a liability claim.

Frequently Asked Questions About Kent County Car Accident Injuries

Car accidents are unexpected events, and if you find yourself in the middle of one you may be uncertain as to what happens next. Here are answers to some common questions that you may have:

What should I do after a car accident?

If you have been injured in a car accident, one of the first and most important things to do is seek or accept medical attention, regardless of how serious your injuries may appear. You may require immediate attention to save your life or prevent long-term disability or disfigurement, and medical professionals can also uncover injuries that are not immediately apparent. Seeking medical treatment also creates a record that you can use when filing an insurance claim with your provider or that of the liable party. If possible, you should also collect evidence from the accident including photographs, videos, and witnesses that can help you establish whether the other driver was at fault. Next, you should consider hiring an attorney who can help you receive full compensation for your damages.

How much does it cost to hire an attorney?

John D. Tallman, PLC offers free initial consultations, and we are only compensated for your case if we are able to achieve a successful settlement or verdict for you. Our compensation comes from a portion of that settlement or verdict.

Do I need to file a liability claim if I have insurance?

For relatively minor injuries, you may be able to obtain all of the compensation you need through your own PIP policy. However, if your injuries are severe and another driver was responsible for the accident, you may need to pursue a liability claim against them to compensate for economic damages beyond your policy limits and non-economic damages like ongoing pain and suffering.

What if the other driver is uninsured?

One of the benefits of Michigan's no-fault insurance law is that as long as you have coverage, you can receive compensation for many of your damages even if the other driver is uninsured or lacks sufficient insurance. However, if your damages extend beyond what is covered in your PIP policy and your injuries were caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver, it can be difficult to obtain the additional compensation you need. One way to account for this is to purchase optional uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage through your insurance provider. John D. Tallman, PLC can work to ensure you get full compensation from your provider for an uninsured motorist claim.

What if I am partially responsible for the accident?

Michigan's no-fault law also allows you to obtain compensation through your PIP policy if you were partially responsible for the accident that caused your injuries. You may be able to receive some additional compensation through a liability claim if the other driver bears more responsibility than you, though the compensation will be reduced in proportion to your liability. If you bear the majority of the responsibility for the crash, you may be unable to receive any compensation outside of your PIP policy.

How long do I have to file a claim?

If you wish to file a liability claim against another at-fault driver, the statute of limitations is three years from the date of the accident. This gives you time to fully understand the extent of your injuries and their impact on your life so that you can seek the most compensation possible from the responsible party.

What happens after I file a liability claim?

John D. Tallman, PLC will help you continue to gather and preserve evidence that speaks to the other party's fault, as well as records of all economic and non-economic damages. A liability claim can take a significant amount of time to resolve, because it requires a back-and-forth process with the other driver's insurance company and legal representatives, including a discovery period for the exchange of evidence and the deposition of witnesses, but Attorney John Tallman is committed to moving the process forward as efficiently as possible. After discovery, your attorney will usually enter into settlement negotiations with the at-fault party with the goal of reaching a fair agreement. If a settlement is not possible, your attorney will take your claim to court and present a strong case to persuade the judge or jury to issue a verdict in your favor.

Contact a Kent and Ottawa County Car Accident Lawyer

We know you may have many more questions about your case, and we want to help you start on the path to compensation and recovery as soon as possible. If you have been injured in a car accident in Kent County, Ottawa County, or Muskegon County, including Grand Rapids, Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon, and the surrounding areas, contact us at 616-361-8850 to schedule a free consultation.

Back to Top