4020 East Beltline Ave. NE, Suite 101, Grand Rapids, MI 49525

Free Consultations 616-361-8850

Grand Rapids, Michigan Premises Liability Attorney

Kent County premises liability lawyer

Personal Injury Lawyer for Victims of Accidents on Another Person's Property in Kent and Ottawa County

On a typical day, you may enter the properties of several different home and business owners with the expectation that you will be safe for as long as you are there. However, accidents and incidents resulting in injury happen on someone else's property from time to time, and many of them are preventable.

If you have been injured on another person's property, your immediate focus may understandably be on your pain and need for medical attention rather than questions of who is at fault. However, when you are facing high medical bills and uncertainty over your ability to pay them, the question of liability becomes much more important. At John D. Tallman, PLC, we have almost 40 years of experience representing clients in premises liability cases in Grand Rapids and the surrounding areas, and we can help you identify who was liable for your accident and seek full compensation for your damages.

Types of Premises Liability Accidents in West Michigan

There are a variety of accidents for which you may be able to pursue compensation through a personal injury lawsuit. Some of the most common include:

  • Insufficient security: Poor security, surveillance, and lighting on business premises can increase the risk of assault and injuries happening to people while they are there.
  • Building code violations: When a property fails to meet safety codes related to electrical systems, plumbing, elevators and escalators, stairways, and more, accidents involving physical injury, burns, and electrocution can happen.
  • Equipment malfunctions: Improperly maintained products and equipment on business premises or in someone else's home can also cause serious injuries if they malfunction in the vicinity of people who are visiting.
  • Chemical exposure: When a business or homeowner uses toxic or hazardous chemicals on the premises and fails to keep them safely contained, they can cause burn injuries or poisoning.

Who Is At Fault for an Accident on Kent County Business Premises?

Some premises accidents are unforeseeable, and others are the result of careless or illegal behavior on the part of the person who is injured. In these cases, the injured person may be unlikely to obtain compensation. However, if you are injured in an accident caused by the negligence of the property or business owner or manager, you may be entitled to recovery for your damages.

In a premises liability case, negligence is typically defined as the owner's or manager's failure to uphold a duty of care to the people who regularly and lawfully visit the premises. This could mean a failure to thoroughly inspect the premises for dangerous conditions, a failure to address dangerous conditions they discover, or a failure to clearly warn visitors of potential dangers, if any of these failures are found to be the cause of an accident and resulting injuries.

Building Your Case for Compensation

If you believe that a property owner or manager may be responsible for your injuries, you should start collecting evidence including photographs of your injuries and any features of the environment that contributed to them. You should also seek prompt medical attention so that you have documentation of the extent of your injuries throughout your entire recovery period. Our attorneys can help you gather and preserve this evidence, and we will use it to build a case for compensation for your medical expenses, lost income, pain and suffering, disfigurement, and loss of enjoyment of life. We strive to achieve recovery for our clients through a fair settlement agreement, or through trial litigation if necessary, and we are only compensated if we achieve a successful result for you.

Contact a Grand Rapids Premises Liability Attorney

We can help you through the often complicated process of establishing liability in an accident on someone else's property and work to obtain the relief you are looking for. Contact us today at 616-361-8850 for a free consultation. We serve clients in Kent County, Ottawa County, and Muskegon County, including in Grand Rapids, Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon and the surrounding areas in the Lower Peninsula.

Back to Top