4020 East Beltline Ave. NE, Suite 101, Grand Rapids, MI 49525

Free Consultations 616-361-8850

Can I Get Compensation if The Driver Who Hit Me Was Uninsured?

 Posted on January 11, 2023 in Personal Injury

Kent County personal injury lawyerPaying for vehicle repair costs and medical needs are usually some of the last things on a person's mind after an auto accident. The moments after a collision are chaotic. An injured person may give little thought to the financial consequences of the crash as he or she is being transported to the hospital. However, as the initial shock of the accident wears off, questions about how to pay for the repairs and medical bills may begin to arise. The question of financial responsibility is especially pressing if the at-fault driver is uninsured or underinsured.

Reimbursement for Accident-Related Costs When the At-Fault Party is Uninsured

Michigan law mandates auto insurance. Unfortunately, some people drive without auto insurance or, more commonly, without enough auto insurance. If you were hit by a drunk driver, distracted driver, or someone who was driving negligently and you find out they do not have insurance, you may understandably worry. 

Fortunately, there may still be a way to recover compensation after an accident with an uninsured driver. Many people have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. This coverage is designed for exactly this type of situation. If you were hit by an uninsured driver, you may be able to file a claim with your own insurance company to get compensation. A personal injury attorney can advocate for you and communicate with the insurance company on your behalf during this process. 

Third-Party Liability for Accidents Involving Uninsured Motorists

Another potential avenue for compensation is through a personal injury lawsuit. You could sue the at-fault driver directly. However, this is not an effective option if the driver has few assets and financial resources. It may also be possible to sue a third party. For example, if you were struck by a drunk driver, it is possible that the restaurant or bar that served the driver alcohol is ultimately liable for your damages.  

It is also possible to hold a parent or guardian liable in some cases. In Michigan, an individual who is under the age of 18 can be held responsible for the damages he or she causes due to negligence. Therefore, if you were hit by an underage driver, his or her parents may be legally responsible for your costs. 

Contact a Kent County Personal Injury Lawyer

If you or a family member were injured in a crash caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver, contact John D. Tallman, PLC, Attorney at Law for help. You may be able to get compensation for your medical bills, lost income, vehicle repairs, and other damages. Our Grand Rapids car accident injury lawyers will work tirelessly to pursue the compensation you deserve. Schedule a free consultation by calling us at 616-361-8850 or contacting us online to learn more. 



Share this post:
Back to Top