4020 East Beltline Ave. NE, Suite 101, Grand Rapids, MI 49525

Free Consultations 616-361-8850

Legal Options After Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Rental Housing

 Posted on November 19, 2021 in Personal Injury

Grand Rapids Carbon Monoxide Poisoning AttorneyCarbon Monoxide is often called a “silent killer.” It has no odor and can be impossible to identify without a detector. People who live in apartments and other small rental units are at greater risk of carbon monoxide poisoning than those who live in larger accommodations. Because apartments are smaller and typically not as well-ventilated as a house, even a small amount of carbon monoxide can become extremely dangerous. In most cases, carbon monoxide leaks are preventable when appropriate safety procedures are followed. If you were poisoned by carbon monoxide in a rental unit, you will want to speak with an attorney to find out whether your landlord may be liable. 

Recognizing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be hard to identify. While even short exposure to high levels of carbon monoxide may quickly become fatal, exposure to lower levels over time can cause serious damage. The following symptoms may point to carbon monoxide: 

  • Headache

  • Confusion

  • Dizziness

  • Chest Pains

  • Tiredness

If these symptoms ever come on suddenly, it is important to get outside and call 911 right away. Likewise, if you notice that these symptoms are only present while you are in your home, you will need to consult a doctor promptly. Seeking care can help you determine whether carbon monoxide or something else is to blame for your symptoms. If carbon monoxide is not the culprit, your rental unit may need to be checked for other environmental hazards like radon, toxic mold, or dangerous chemicals. 

Who is Responsible For Preventing Carbon Monoxide?

It is the duty of a landlord or property management company to take reasonable steps to ensure that their housing is safe to live in, including being free of carbon monoxide. Appliances such as furnaces that present a risk of carbon monoxide must be well-maintained. Pipes and other combustible components in the home should be kept in a safe condition. If your landlord or property manager was negligent in maintaining these dangerous items, he could be liable for your carbon monoxide injuries. 

Michigan has also passed laws requiring all housing units in multi-family or apartment buildings to come equipped with a working carbon monoxide detector. If your unit was missing a detector that would have reduced or prevented your injuries, and your landlord was required to provide one, he is most likely liable to you. 

Call a Kent County Chemical Exposure Attorney

If you were poisoned by carbon monoxide in a rental housing unit, John D. Tallman, PLC Attorney at Law may be able to help you recover compensation. Once you have gotten to safety, call us at 616-361-8850 for a free consultation with one of our experienced Grand Rapids chemical exposure lawyers. We will meet you in your hospital room if you are too ill to come to our office. 




Share this post:
Back to Top